Monday, March 06, 2006

Marvelous Movie Monday - Walk The Line

I thought I was in for a typical biography with this movie. Not typical at all.

It's a love story.

This movie chronicles the life of Johnny Cash, and more loosely, June Carter Cash.

While watching the Academy Awards last night, Jon Stewart remarked that "Walk The Line" was like "Ray" with white people. I have to agree, many of the plot lines are similar. The story follows Johnny's childhood loss of his brother (like "Ray"), and his rise to fame and the drug use (also like "Ray"), but that is where the similarities end.

This is about Johnny and June's love story. I found it so poignant. They were just destined to be together. I'm not going to go into it too far except to say that they both made mistakes (some huge!) but realized that they were meant to be life partners.

Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon both had fabulous performances, while I knew who was doing the acting, I did get lost in the acting, and actually felt that I was watching Johnny Cash and his wife. It was also nice to see that they both did their own singing througout the whole movie, and they were just great. I'm going to get the soundtrack.

Reese deserved her award, and although Joaquin didn't get his, I wish he would have.

5 microwave popcorns out of 5!

Children should be in bed asleep during this movie, lots of drinking and drugging and catterwallin'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home