Monday, February 13, 2006

Marvelous Movie Monday - Last of the Mohicans

Last of the Mohicans (Click the "Marvelous Movie Monday - Last of the Mohicans" title above for a link to imdb)

Okay, so, I've started my new exciting Monday post called, "Marvelous Movie Monday" with a movie that came out in 1992

What's up with that?

Two reasons:

1. There are so many movies out there, none of which I've reviewed on my blog (until now). I've got to catch up!

2. I'm a working mother. In order to go out to a new release, that takes a babysitter, and a free night with my husband, who isn't always readily available. However, every 2 or 3 months or so we might be able to go out by ourselves, and in that instance, I will endeavor to bring a review of he most up-to-date movie out there that my husband and I can both agree upon.

Now, let's get started.

The Last of the Mohicans is a classic, as far as I'm concerned. If you like history, and you like period pieces, with all the old-fashiondy clothes and stuff, this is the movie for you.

This movie stars Daniel Day Lewis, who, although he has kind of a bony-face, is a total hottie in this one. The heroine is Mary Elizabeth Stuart Masterstrontonio or something or other - Wait, no, wrong one. She's Madeleine Stowe. They make a great couple.

He's a faux indian (white, raised by a Mohican played by Russell Means named Chingachgook) named Nathaniel (indian name Hawkeye) who runs across Cora (Madeleine Stowe) and her sister Alice during the time of the French-English wars on the way to Can-tuck-ee (Kentucky - whatever) and helps her survive a few hatchet jobs and war parties and they "fall in love" quite quickly.

It kind of reminds me of one of those romance novels with the long-haired hero and his heroine and they have only each other to cling to. And they have all the hot loving.

The music is phenomenal and the cinematography is gorgeous. Except for the savages and wars and hard life stuff, it almost makes you wish you lived back then - almost.

There is an evil indian, who is Huron, pretending to be Mohican, named Mogwa (I can't help but think of Gremlins when I hear his name - is anyone else with me on this one?) who is totally hell-bent on killing the two girls because his family was killed during a war by the English, led by the girls' father, who is a general in the English military.

He is played by Wes Studi, the same evil-indian guy who was in Dances With Wolves.

Anyway, Hawkeye's brother, Uncas (Eric Schweig) is equally hot and he loves Madeleine's sister, Alice (Jodi something). There's a twist at the end and it always makes me cry (but I'm a sucker, so it might not be the same for you).

This movie is so good that while my brother was in the Army stationed in Germany, he ended up buying 3 copies because people kept stealing them.

We have a copy that we keep in a safety deposit box, so you really got to be in the mood for it in order to go all the way to the bank to get it out (just kidding, it's on the shelf with all the other movies - but if we get broke into I know you stole it so don't even try).

Based on the combined romance/action factor, which is helpful in keeping both the wife AND the husband happy in a marriage, I rate this movie 5 microwave popcorns out of 5.

***The kids should be in bed when this is on***

1 Comments:

At 2/13/2006 11:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your review.

Incidentally, the Michael Mann directed this movie (the creator of Miami Vice). He does a wonderful job of creating an "atmosphere" in his movies. He also did "Heat" (in which Wes Studi played a small part).

One of Michael Mann's first movies was "Manhunter", the first version of Red Dragon (with a not-nearly-as-good-as-Anthony Hopkins Hannibal Lecter). It was the first starring role for William Peterson in which he played a forensic psychologist (think maybe he was type-cast after that?).

Enough about movie history. I am looking forward to the soon to be released movie version of Miami Vice. Michael Mann is also directing, and it looks like it will be true to the genre and not go stupid like Charlies Angels and The Dukes of Hazzard (I'm still pissed about them making Uncle Jesse a pervert). Here is a link to the new movie:

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808649731&cf=info

 

Post a Comment

<< Home